Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

How The Growth Mindset Has Changed My Life For The Better

Hello again readers. As per usual it's been a while. Several weeks ago I was introduced to the idea of the growth mindset. A guest speaker came to my school, he had previously worked for Microsoft and during his long shpeal he mentioned the growth mindset. What I gathered from my quickly scribble for notes a few days later was

 Fail and fail until you succeed. Mistakes are our teachers. The faster I fail the faster I succeed.

The biggest reason this resonated with me was because my fear of failure has held me back for as long as I can remember. At the same time when I was a child I wasn't nearly as afraid to fail and I was so much happier and my horizons were exponentially expanding.

The past week I finally figured out how to apply this mindset to my everyday life. I've been working on cosplay day in and day out and have made more mistakes than I can count. I saw each mistake as a teaching moment and bare in mind that at any given time I can always remake an entire cosplay and by the time I remake it I'll have more experience, knowledge of better materials, or a more polished pattern. I made every possible mistake one could make on my basic sailor Pluto cosplay. Choosing material that's too slippery to work with, cutting the skirt wrong, making the 2nd attempt at the skirt way too short and uneven with an ugly hemline, cutting the V too deep, making the collar uneven and too short, butchering the sleeve holes, messing up the bow 4 different times, it was an absolute mess and I enjoyed almost every minute of it because it was a practice round and after I stock up on paychecks the next attempt at a sailor Pluto cosplay will looks stellar!

When you eliminate the fear of failure it's much easier to move forward and do what you love. I feel more motivated and discouragement is far from my mind. This has made it much easier to get back to my works in progress and put more of my art out there. Once in a blue moon I take a moment to reflect on how far I've come and anticipate how much further I can go. 

-JustJane 

"Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance."
-Samuel Johnson 



No comments:

Post a Comment