Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, July 12, 2018

New Month, Fresh Start

I realize this post implies the beginning of July but is posted during the second week. There is in fact a reason for this. I did not have internet and phone service for the entirety of last week due to visiting my sister's farm and connecting with nature. And by nature I mean being inside 60% of the time contemplating how I can become a better person and a successful writer. 

Before diving into the July updates I must pick up where I left off in August for the loyal readers who have read my last posts. Mini-prom was a success. My friends and I all ended up watching the classic film Young Frankenstein. Rest in peace Gene Wilder. I found it in myself to let go of all expectations, sit back, and have a good time. I realized there were times I wanted to feel in control of everything. To be a full on host and make sure everything goes according to plan. Maybe that feeling will be useful for work at my job. For now I see it as a fatal flaw. 

Anyway it is now July, the sun is out, and I need to market the heck out of my books before the end of August. My other sister has picked up tarot reading.In summary I asked the cards what I could do to help further my writing career and the answer was to go about it a different way. In my heart I knew this was astrological code for "Don't be afraid of book marketing". Aspiring authors pay extra attention to this post. 

I have sold books by persuading my friends and family directly. Sometimes I would put flyers up around my school. Every so often I would post a single post on facebook with all of the information anyone would need to know and just wait for the results. THIS.IS.NOT.HOW.TO.GO.ABOUT.MARKETING. Just because your book is on Amazon doesn't mean it's going to magically become a best seller. I spent the next few days thinking deeply about social media marketing and everything I learned in school about the business side of graphic arts. Branding, advertising, target-audience, etc. Part of me was overwhelmed and terrified but I had to accept the fact that stubbornly sticking to my way of marketing was only going to lead me nowhere. We live in a competitive era with innovative tools and business mindsets. Brands and product consuming. Collaborating and and exchanging knowledge. I had to step out of my comfort zone and try a different approach. So I started fresh. New Instagram account, (Follow me @JanejiraDamron) new approach. 

I've also started an art channel on youtube. @JanejiraDraws 
Let's see where this all goes. 
-Just Jane

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me."
-Carol Burnett

No comments:

Post a Comment